Mar 31, 2012

A Saturday in London

Today has been absolutely marvelous. Sometimes I cannot believe that I am actually here; it's a bit of a dream come true.

Early this morning, I left Barnet for Covent Gardens in order to queue for tickets to George Farquhar's  The Recruiting Officer at Donmar Warehouse.


Managed to snag a dirt cheap standing ticket and then wandered over to the National Portrait Gallery to pass the hours before the matinee performance.

Thoroughly enjoyed wandering through time in the Portrait Gallery. Started on the second floor with the Tudor portraits and made my way through much of British history via faces. Many wonderful paintings and photographs. Here are some of my favorites:

The Brontë Sisters
by Patrick Branwell Brontë 

Vanessa Bell
by Duncan Grant

"Mike's Brother" - Paul McCartney
by Sam Walsh

John Keats
by Joseph Severn

I love what Joseph Severn said about his painting:
"This was the time he first fell ill and had written the Ode to a Nightingale on the morning of my visit to Hampstead. I found him sitting with the two chairs as I have painted him and was struck with the first real symptoms of sadness in Keats so finely expressed in that poem."

After the National Portrait Gallery, I had a coffee and then headed to Donmar. As I entered the upper circle (as a stander), I encountered a candle-lit stage in an intimate theatre. Energetic and jovial actor-musicians danced about the stage, already luring me into the play's world. I knew nothing about the plot. Truthfully, I only decided to see the production because I knew Mark Gatiss was in the cast.

Just as the play was about to start, one of the ushers came up to tell the standers that there were seats in the stalls. He directed me downstairs where I took my place in the left side block. Seated and close to the stage. Felt exceedingly lucky.

The performance was brilliant: comical, bawdy, witty, and vibrant.  I enjoyed the humor, the metatheatre... the clever quips and gender disguise. Now I'd really like to read the play. The music and the staging were just right - very effective and not distracting. The costumes were gorgeous. And the cast. Oh the brilliant and talented cast.

A few of my favorites (though the rest were equally wonderful):

Mark Gatiss, one of my favorite actors and writers. Gatiss has written for and performed in both Doctor Who and Sherlock. He was marvelous as the ridiculous Captain Brazen.

As Captain Brazen*
As Mycroft Holmes
(from BBC)
Mackenzie Crook as Sergeant Kite. Most known for playing Gareth Keenan in The Office and Ragetti in The Pirates of the Caribbean.


As Gareth Keenan
(from BBC)

As Sergeant Kite*

Tobias Menzies as Captain Plume, who I recognized from my many years of watching Masterpiece Theatre. He played William Elliot in the 2007 Persuasion

As William Elliot
(from PBS)

As Captain Plume*

Rachael Stirling as Melinda. Also from The Young Victoria, an episode of Lewis, etc.

As Melinda*

The Recruiting Officer made for a lovely and entertaining afternoon. So happy I decided to attend a performance.

As per usual, my day ended with a crowded tube ride back to Barnet and then an evening spent with my homestay family: dinner, telly, and tea.
~L

*photo credit to Donmar Warehouse and Johan Persson

1 comment:

  1. Oh. This made me so ridiculously happy! Glad you are having such an amazing time. The play and cast look fabulous. Love it <3

    ReplyDelete