Apr 18, 2012

Climbing the dome

Christopher Wren church crawl today. Started the morning with a tour of his masterpiece, St. Paul's Cathedral (one of my favorite buildings in London).


The most terrifyingly marvelous event of the day was getting to climb the 528 steps up to the Golden Gallery at the top of the first dome. 

Source: "Climb the Dome" - St. Paul's Cathedral

Wide spiral staircases led up to the Whispering Gallery, which offered a wonderful view of Thornhill's painted ceiling and of the cathedral's interior. Another set of narrower stone spiral stairs led to the very blustery Stone Gallery. And finally, a series of small, metal, really really scary I thought I might fall to my death spiral staircases led up to the Golden Gallery. Though cloudy, the view was incredible and completely worth the climb.

The metal spiral staircase of death

My cloudy London

My "It's-Really-Windy-I'm-Trying-To-Not
-Drop-My-Camera-I'm-Going-To-Fall-
Off-This-Dome"
self portrait

~L

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, I would love to see St. Paul's Cathedral in person. That is a lot of stairs. I remember going up the spiral stairs in the statue of liberty. It took forever to get to the top. Thanks for sharing. If I ever go to London I will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete