Apr 10, 2012

An update

I've been a bit absent this last week, so now it's time for a proper update on my goings-on here in London. Have I mentioned that my favorite British adjective is "proper"?

Our lovely summer weather has left and London has returned to its normal April showers. During the pub crawl on Tuesday, I was caught without my umbrella and quickly soaked. Needless to say, I take my umbrella everywhere with me now. Everywhere. There's something romantic about rain in London though... it smells nicer, and it's more interesting than the depressing drizzle of the PNW.

In general, London and I are getting along exceedingly well. My homestay is lovely--almost like I'm part of their little family. It feels like I've been here much longer than three weeks.

Last week was a particularly busy one. Here's a brief rundown:

Monday: Class and Duchess of Malfi at the Old Vic. A very theatrical, disturbing and brilliant production.

Tuesday: Class, Jack the Ripper tour (intriguing but slightly disquieting), and pub crawl. I'm not really cut out for pub crawls. We visited six historic pubs and I only drank a half pint of cider... too busy being soaked, observing my tipsy classmates, and listening to Peter's pub talks. Twas an interesting experience, to say the least.

Wednesday: Hampton Court walking tour with Peter. Historic, old, gorgeous. My kind of place. He took us around chronologically so we could see the evolution of architecture over time. I just adored the gardens.







Thursday: Met up with cousins Emily and Kiri! We visited the British Museum, were subsequently overwhelmed by the magnitude of the museum, and then went for tea and lunch at Bea's of Bloomsbury, a new favorite cafe. Then class, where we finished our discussion of The Picture of Dorian Gray and introduced to fláneurie and the fláneur (a concept I am now slightly obsessed with).

Friday: Sleeping in, laundry (must always do laundry on relatively sunny days because no dryer) and Passion of Christ in Trafalgar Square.

Saturday: David Hockey exhibit with the homestay. See previous post.

Sunday: Happy Easter! Easter breakfast with the homestay. Then Easter Liturgy at St. Margaret's (of Westminster Abbey) and Evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral.

St. Margaret's

St. Paul's

Easter gift from homestay

Monday: Easter Monday. It rained all day and I stayed in. Started watching Merlin. Made my break travel plans (going to Haworth!)

Today was a normal day. Recited one of Prospero's speeches for theatre class, confirmed my plans for Bath, found out that Christopher Eccleston (of Doctor Who fame) is performing in Antigone at the National Theatre (which I get to see in May!!!!!), consumed ridiculous amounts of tea. A nice calm start to the week. Tomorrow I leave bright and early for an overnight trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon with the group. We're going to see The Tempest and The Comedy of Errors at the Royal Shakespeare Company, and Peter's taking us on a walking tour of the city.

Off to pack!
~L

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying the update and pictures. Makes me want to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! I'm so excited to hear about your trip up to Bronte country! I can't wait to go and want to know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete