Apr 29, 2012

Daytripping in Oxford (2)

Part two: In which Lois actually writes about her time in Oxford
Dedicated to Samara

With my dear friend's Oxford notes and annotated map in hand, I set out for my day trip at 5:45 am. Though the morning was gray, windy, and wet (not a good sign, to be sure), my enthusiasm remained intact. I rode the tube to Victoria Station; from there, I caught the 7:00 am coach to Oxford.

Up front on the double decker coach

Why so early? I was asking myself the same question. But my timing couldn't have been more perfect. In her notes, my friend had encouraged me to go on a tour of the Bodleian Library. Since there are only a certain number of tickets, I needed to get to the library by 9:00 am. Being particularly fond of libraries, especially old libraries, I made the Bodleian a priority. 

I arrived around half past eight. Oxford was still waking up. I wandered the quiet streets, taking in my first glimpses of the city I had so often heard about, read about, and seen in film and television. And it was delightful. 

When I reached the Bodleian, the ticket office informed me of the extended tour at 9:15. Like I said, perfect timing. I visited not only the Divinity School, the 17th century Convocation House and Chancellor's Court, and the late medieval Duke Humfrey's Library (as restored by Sir Thomas Bodley), but also the Radcliffe Camera (the first rotunda library in Britain) and the Gladstone Link (previously the Underground Bookstore).  The tour group of four was led by a lovely older woman; she told us all about the history of the building/library and how the library worked then and now. 


Radcliffe Camera

Old Bodleian Library entrance

I think we all can see what the highlight of the day was. It is now my secret desire to work at this library. 

After the library tour I rambled down Broad Street: passing the Sheldonian Theatre, spending far too much time in Blackwell's Bookshop, and making my way to the Covered Markets. 

Sheldonian Theatre next to
the Museum of the History of Science

Following a brief lunch in the market, I took rather windy walk around Christ Church Meadow and the surrounding area, going past Christ Church College (home to Lewis Carroll, and John and Charles Wesley) and Merton College (J.R.R. Tolkien and T.S. Eliot).

Christ Church College entrance

War Memorial Garden at Christ Church


Because Madgalen college didn't open until 1:00 pm for visitors, I spent a good hour in the Oxford Botanic Gardens (oldest Botanic Garden in Great Britain) before visiting the old and rather wonderful college.

A bit of the Botanic Gardens


St. John's Quadrangle

Cloister

Looking at the college from Addison's Walk -
a favorite walk of C.S. Lewis 

New Building (new as in 17th century new...)

Great Tower

At this point, I was starting to feel a bit chilled and tired after walking around in the weather all morning and afternoon. I had originally planned to stay until 6:00 pm in order to attend Evensong at Christ Church Cathedral, but I wasn't feeling up for it. (Now I have a good reason to visit again!) I decided to end my day with a visit to The Eagle and Child, or The Bird and Babe, as the Inklings referred to it.


And in case my day wasn't wonderful enough, I came across this while waiting for my coach:

Oxford believes in Sherlock Holmes


~L

1 comment:

  1. Oh joy! I'm SO glad you got to see the Radcliffe Camera as it is usually not open to visitors, but happens to be my absolute favorite building in Oxford!! And the I Believe in Sherlock Holmes just about made my day =D

    So delightful to hear about your trip!! And I think you working at the Bodleian is a fabulous idea! We'll move there, get a flat, I'll study and you can be a librarian =) Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete