Apr 24, 2012

Rambling on the moors

in photographs, words, and music

My starting point: Haworth Church

Headed toward Top Withins

Penistone Hill Country Park 

The one that got away

Haworth Moor

South Dean Beck, near the Brontë Waterfalls

Brontë Waterfalls - it's said that Emily Brontë used
to come here to think and find inspiration

More moors - getting close to Top Withins

Top Withins Ruin

"Wuthering Heights is the name of Mr. Heathcliff's dwelling. 'Wuthering' being a significant provincial adjective, descriptive of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed in stormy weather." ~ Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

"I Found Peace"
From the 2009 television adaptation 
of Wuthering Heights

Possible inspiration for Emily's fictional Wuthering Heights 

Self-portrait #3: "Among the Ruins,
or Learning-to-use-the-timer-on-my-camera"

Self-portrait #4: "Looking for Heathcliff,
or Getting-better-with-the-timer"

Self Portrait #5: "Wandering"

"I struck straight into the heath; I held on to a hollow I saw deeply furrowing the brown moorside; I waded knee-deep in its dark growth; I turned with its turnings, and finding a moss-blackened granite crag in a hidden angle, I sat down under it. High banks of moor were about me; the crag protected my head: the sky was over that. " ~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

"Wandering Jane"
From the 2011 film adaptation of Jane Eyre

On Pennine Way overlooking Stanbury Moor

Self Portrait #6: "Casually-having-one-of-
the-best-days-of-my-life
"* 
*I'm listening to music from various film adaptations of Brontë novels in this photo because I am a completely hopeless nerd.

~L

2 comments:

  1. So cool!!! It looks like you had an absolute blast. I'm so happy for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a lot of fun. That is exactly the sort of thing that would get you excited too: wandering around a barren expanse of land by yourself.: )
    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete